Most Active Stories
- TxDOT Wants $50M To Study Futuristic Transportation Models Like The 'Hyperloop'
- Will Texas' Education Commissioner Stay On?
- Hidden Treasures San Antonio, Available Exclusively Through TPR
- Beautiful Drawings Of Children At Play, But There’s More Happening Here
- The Source: Challenges In The Texas Education System
World Music Pick
Tue March 19, 2013
Bajofondo: South American Landscapes
Bajofondo started as a loose collective of musicians from Argentina and Uruguay, but over time formed a solid core of players that have since become a cohesive band. Their latest release, "Presente," consists of twenty one tracks and has a massive sound.
For this CD the group augmented their sound with an enormous orchestral section, giving each of their songs a full and well-rounded sound.
Argentine Grammy Award-winning producer/composer/musician Gustavo Santaolalla - best score for "Brokeback Mountain" and "Babel" - founded the group with Urugyayan producer/musician Juan Campodónico.
Although Bajofondo started out as a tango-oriented band, they have since distanced themselves from that description. Now they touch on a variety of genres: Rebetika, Rock, Hip Hop, Milongo and Tango.
The CD has instrumental tracks and a host of songs, one which is sung a capella. This is a journey through musical landscapes which leaves the listener ready for lots more.
This one's for Dan: