Earlier this week we told you about C’est La Vie Baking (see related story below), which was broken into on Monday, and today was their grand opening.
The burglary didn’t stop the entrepreneurial spirits of Eric Lowe and Taylor Becken, the owners of the bakery. At least 80 people showed up with canned food in hand, a request by the two owners to benefit the food bank. Lowe said the burglary was an eye opener but after taking to social media, the help and community support came pouring in.
"When we wrote that little letter on Facebook explaining what had happened at the burglary it was just a letter explaining what had happened to our followers," Lowe said. "We didn’t expect it to be shared, and re-shared, and re-shared, and the get some media attention. I think a lot of the turnout today is because of that and we’re just so grateful."
The canned food drive was already planned before the break-in, in which the thief, or thieves, stole the petty cash drawer. Becken said they were expecting to get about one 55-gallon barrel of canned food.
"What was originally going to just a small food drive has turned into a large three-drum food drive. It has been fantastic." Becken said.
Those that brought food or money were treated to samples of the bakery’s goods and t-shirts. So far there have been no suspects named in the robbery. The bakery has been open about two months.