Concert Band Honors Stars & Stripes On Flag Day
Friday night includes a celebration of Flag Day with the Heart of Texas Concert Band. "It's not as popular a holiday as St. Patrick's Day or even Columbus Day!", says music director and conductor Mark Rogers. "But we found lots of music appropriate for honoring the flag and wanted to do a concert."
The community band made up of professionals, amateurs, and student musicians is one of ten concerts the group plays annually. "It's almost a preview of our Fourth of July concert, but this will be shorter...we're keeping an eye on the time, and will be finished before sunset."
Their program includes:
- Festival Overture on the American National Air "The Star-Spangled Banner" - Dudley Buck
- The Pledge of Allegiance - Alfred Reed, Alyssa Bradford, vocal soloist
- Salute to the Colors - Bert Anthony/Karl King
- The Patriot - Arthur Pryor, Nick Conn, trombone soloist
- Journal for a Soldier - Brian Balmages
- Riders for the Flag, march - John Philip Sousa
- Rushmore - Alfred Reed
- Salute to the Armed Forces
- God Bless America - Irving Berlin, Alyssa Bradford, vocal soloist
- The Stars and Stripes Forever - John Philip Sousa
The Heart of Texas Concert Band plays Friday, June 14th at 7:30pm in Madison High School's amphitheater. More online at http://www.heartoftexasconcertband.com/
Their next concert is July 4th, at 11am at the Alamo.