Most Active Stories
- TxDOT Wants $50M To Study Futuristic Transportation Models Like The 'Hyperloop'
- Will Texas' Education Commissioner Stay On?
- Hidden Treasures San Antonio, Available Exclusively Through TPR
- Beautiful Drawings Of Children At Play, But There’s More Happening Here
- The Source: Challenges In The Texas Education System
Mon March 4, 2013
Dragons & Gods, Fire & Blood Fill San Antonio Symphony Program
Music by Richard Wagner and Michael Daugherty on tap this weekend
Throughout 2013, musicians will be playing Richard Wagner in honor of his 200th birthday this May. The San Antonio Symphony will offer wonderful selections of Wagner's grand opus, "Der Ring des Nibelungen."
"Highlights would not be enough, because we are going through the journey of the ring!" said Conductor Sebastian Lang-Lessing.
The symphony will play music from all four operas by Wagner that make up "the Ring" and begin the program with a new work from Michael Daugherty, Fire and Blood.
The influence [of Wagner] on film music, without resolutions, is so great, I thought pairing a new American piece would go well with the Ring, a violin concerto by Michael Daugherty. Of course 'Fire & Blood' could be the theme of the Ring!
Violinist Alexandre da Costa will be the soloist, who spoke with TPR about the new work, chamber music and being concertmaster:
- Find our more about the concerts (Friday and Saturday nights) online visit: www.sasymphony.org