Most Active Stories
- TxDOT Wants $50M To Study Futuristic Transportation Models Like The 'Hyperloop'
- Will Texas' Education Commissioner Stay On?
- Hidden Treasures San Antonio, Available Exclusively Through TPR
- Beautiful Drawings Of Children At Play, But There’s More Happening Here
- The Source: Challenges In The Texas Education System
San Antonio Tourism
Wed February 6, 2013
Gen. Travis Re-Opens The Alamo Gift Shop
After months of being closed for renovation, the gift shop at the Alamo is reopening on Friday with dramatic flare.
"The Alamo Gift Shop is vital to the daily operations because the Alamo derives most of its funding from proceeds from the gift shop," said Mark Loeffle with the Texas General Land Office, which now has control over the landmark.
He said the new Alamo gift shop is loaded with unique Alamo souvenirs for the tourist looking for that special relic of the shrine of Texas liberty.
"They’ve got new merchandise – they’ve got exclusive merchandise that you cant get anywhere else," said Loeffle, adding that even though the gift shop is modernized it still has many of the old charms.
"We’ve kept the historic diorama of the Battle of the Alamo. It will still be in the center of the gift shop. Many people will remember that," he said.
The re-imagined Alamo Gift Shop reopens at 9 a.m. Friday with a William Barret Travis re-enactor slashing through the ceremonial ribbon with his sword.
- Learn more about the Alamo online at: www.thealamo.org