Most Active Stories
- TxDOT Wants $50M To Study Futuristic Transportation Models Like The 'Hyperloop'
- Will Texas' Education Commissioner Stay On?
- Hidden Treasures San Antonio, Available Exclusively Through TPR
- Beautiful Drawings Of Children At Play, But There’s More Happening Here
- The Source: Challenges In The Texas Education System
Around the Nation
Tue November 19, 2013
Iconic Sheep Return To Tucson Mountains, But Is It For Good?
Originally published on Tue November 19, 2013 4:54 pm
The last desert bighorn sheep that roamed the mountains above Tucson, Ariz., died in the 1990s, the victim of human encroachment, mountain lions, and fire suppression. Now, the iconic Southwest animal — picture the Dodge Ram's grille — is back. A herd of 31 was released Monday morning after being transplanted over the weekend from the Yuma area in the far west of the state. Why would the sheep survive this time?