Of the over 1,500 bills signed into law from the regular legislative session, 659 take effect this month and run a wide variety of subject matter.
Here are a few that are noteworthy:
- Teens under the age of 18 are banned entirely from using a tanning salon. Previously teens age 16 to 18 could use a tanning bed with a parent's permission.
- People applying for unemployment benefits will be drug tested if they fail to pass a drug-use questionnaire.
- Using an unmanned aircraft or drone to take photos without permission is now a Class C Misdemeanor. This would not apply to police use.
- The number of classroom hours required to get a concealed handgun license, which was previously up to 10, has been reduced. The amount of gun-range training would remain the same.
- The free school lunch program has been expanded.
- The ban on switch-blade knives has been reversed.
There are also several driving-related law changes that are now in effect. See the story in related content below: