Most Active Stories
- TxDOT Wants $50M To Study Futuristic Transportation Models Like The 'Hyperloop'
- Will Texas' Education Commissioner Stay On?
- Hidden Treasures San Antonio, Available Exclusively Through TPR
- Beautiful Drawings Of Children At Play, But There’s More Happening Here
- The Source: Challenges In The Texas Education System
The Source - May 20, 2013
Mon May 20, 2013
The Source: Teen Pregnancy, Joske's & Genetic Counseling
In the first segment:
Texas ranks third in teen pregnancy nationwide and first in teen moms with multiple children. Even with the drop in teen pregnancy that the city has seen, what else can be done to empower teenage girls and address this life-changing issue?
Dr. Thomas Schlenker of San Antonio Metro Health District, Mario Martinez from Project WORTH and Cheryl Weiss, nurse-family partnership supervisor at the Children's Shelter, talk about what is being done, what works and what else we can do.
Also on this show--
In the second segment:
We explore genetic counseling with Dr. Ismail Jatoi, the Dale H. Dorn chair in surgery at the University of Texas Health Science Center.
In the third segment:
Nancy Avellar, president of the San Antonio Conservation Society, will talk about her organization's reasons for opposing the new Joske's development. NOTE: No one from the developer's public relations firm returned repeated messages to appear on today's show.