In the next 25 years, a million more people will be living in San Antonio.
If you think the roads are crowded now, it's going to get a lot worse, unless the city of San Antonio doesn't takes action.But what can we do beyond building more miles of highways?How do we spur a real mass transit plan?Can we convince people to live closer to their jobs?What new technologies are coming online that will change how we do transportation?The City of San Antonio is starting work on a comprehensive transportation plan. Our guests are:
The 100-year-old, 60-foot domed building of the VIA Metropolitan Transit’s new executive offices was once a passenger station of the Great Northern Railroad. These offices were part of Phase I of renovations. Phase II, currently in progress, will cover the transit plaza, serving VIA Primo and twelve VIA lines at 60 departures an hour.
VIA is disappointed in the change of heart by the city and county on streetcar, but the transit authority plans to move forward in other directions while deferring its current plan for the project.
Friday, standing among dozens of VIA employees at a news conference, VIA Chairman Alex Briseño said the transit authority is moving forward; just not with the streetcar project that had been in the works.
The plan forward now, he said, includes expanded PRIMO routes, constructing multi-modal centers, and focus on VIA's long-range plan for 2035 that was approved three years ago.
Despite the derailment of San Antonio’s streetcar, the petition that called for a vote on the issue may still put a charter change on the November ballot.
TPR obtained the results of the petition drive, which is seeking a charter amendment change so that voters could have a say on the streetcar project. The city's election code says 20,000 signatures are needed.
The clerk's office found that more than 12,000 are valid and another 8,800 are also valid if the circulator affidavit isn't required. The circulator affidavit is to verify that those signing are real people.
VIA's multi-million dollar modern streetcar plan will have to take a new track as the city and county have indicated both will withdraw their support from the project. The city of San Antonio stated its intent to remove it’s $32 million pledge, leaving many to cheer or chastise its decision.
The decision to remove funding by the city and county took both supporters and opponents of VIA’s multimillion dollar modern street car plan by surprise. But that doesn’t mean the plan is completely dead.
Mayor Ivy Taylor stands in front of her desk inside her new office at City Hall. In her first major move, she announced the city council will ask staff to draft an ordinance to remove the city's $32 million contribution to the streetcar project.
After Mayor Ivy Taylor's surprise announcement yesterday that the city of San Antonio would be asking for the $32 million it gave to VIA Metro Transit for the modern streetcar, many questions about the future of streetcar and downtown development were left unanswered.
The decision comes after months of intense political and public pressure on the city to put the measure on the November ballot.
The city of Castle Hills is considering removing VIA and VIA Trans service from it’s city boundaries.
If the Castle Hills City Council approves it, the citizens of the small San Antonio suburb will be able to vote on whether or not to remove VIA from the city. Acting Castle Hills Mayor Timothy Howell, who was placed into the position last week, said he’s not taking a side on the issue yet.
“I think it’s very important that we allow the citizens to decide what they want to do moving forward,” Howell said.