Most Active Stories
- Pro-life Group Wants Planned Parenthood Defunded, Even For Cancer Screening
- South San School To Axe All 33 Teachers, Principal, Deputy For School’s Non-Performance
- Those Who Would Apply for DACA and DAPA Status Face Months of Paperwork Ahead
- Hidden Treasures San Antonio, Available Exclusively Through TPR
- Robert Earl Keen Sings 'Merry Christmas From The Fam-O-Lee'
Arts & Culture
Thu June 5, 2014
Gemini Ink's 'Paletas y Poesia' Celebrates South Side At Mission Drive-In
There’s a special celebration on the South Side on Saturday.
“It’s really a way to present the newly-renovated Mission Drive-In," said Gemini Ink’s Ben Tremillo.
The iconic, re-imagined and refurbished Mission Drive-In is hosting an event called Paletas y Poesía — popsicles and poetry.
“It’s a free event, so we’re going to have free paletas, and of course poetry," said Tremillo. "We’re going to have some community poets that are reading out there. And then the San Antonio Poet Laureate Laurie Ann Guerrero is going to be reading as well."
It’s a family-friendly event with food, drink and entertainment.
"We’re going to have a lot of activity tables for the kids, and then to close off the evening, Bombasta will play," Tremillo said.
I also spoke with Bombasta frontman Robert Livar.
"Our good friend Anthony the Poet will be emceeing the event," Livar said. "Myself being from the South Side it’s really giving me a sense of pride, being able to have a cultural event like this taking place. I know Laurie and and Anthony are also from the South Side, and it really gives an example of the deep well of talent that exists not just on the South Side but throughout San Antonio. We’re just happy to add to the conversation."
Tremillo reminds those who want to come that we are getting into summer.
"It’s going to be hot, so I think they should dress cool, of course. We are going to have paletas to cool them down, and free water. There’s going to be food trucks, and just a lot of different things happening," he said.
- For more on Gemini Ink’s Paletas y Poesías: geminiink.org/event/paletas-y-poesia/
Arts & Culture