Most Active Stories
The Source - July 8, 2014
Tue July 8, 2014
The Source: Texas Only State To Not Require Workers' Comp Insurance
In his new series "Hurting for Work" the Texas Tribune's Jay Root explores the lack of protections for workers in Texas.
Some of the main findings:
• Texas stands alone in allowing employers to forgo workers’ comp insurance, and over 500,000 workers have no coverage if they are hurt or killed.
• Texas doesn’t regulate private occupational insurance, which often provides fewer due process rights and stingier benefits than workers’ comp.
• More than 90 percent of employers without workers’ comp
- Jay Root, reporter at the Texas Tribune
- Fabiola Flores, staff attorney on the employment team for Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid