In his new series "Hurting for Work" the Texas Tribune's Jay Root explores the lack of protections for workers in Texas.
Some of the main findings:
• Texas stands alone in allowing employers to forgo workers’ comp insurance, and over 500,000 workers have no coverage if they are hurt or killed.
• Texas doesn’t regulate private occupational insurance, which often provides fewer due process rights and stingier benefits than workers’ comp.
• More than 90 percent of employers without workers’ comp
- Jay Root, reporter at the Texas Tribune
- Fabiola Flores, staff attorney on the employment team for Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid