The eight officers on the all-male jury panel handed Tech. Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez, a recruiter from Lake Jackson, which is near Houston, 27 years in prison – the harshest sentence issued in the sex scandal so far – which was two years longer than what was recommended by prosecutors.
The former military recruiter was also given a dishonorable discharge after his conviction on 29 of 30 charges involving sex crimes against women who came through his office.
An amendment to the budget bill requires a report on the fixes recommended by Air Force commanders who investigated sexual assault in their branch of the military last year.
As a member of the House Armed Services Committee, San Antonio Congressman Joaquín Castro asked for a General Accountability Office (GAO) report on the 45 initiatives recommended by last year’s command-directed investigation.
Castro told the House before the vote that it is critical to ensure those measures would have a real effect on the problem.
A military jury has found former Air Force recruiter Tech. Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez guilty of all but the most serious charge against him.
Rodriguez was found not guilty of the rape of a woman at his recruiting office near Houston, but still faces the possibility of spending years in prison.
Rodriguez faced his accusers again on Thursday, some of whom were high school students at the time of the offenses. Lt. Col. Mark Hoover with the Judge Advocate General Office said ten of the women testified about their interactions with the recruiter.
An Air Force recruiter from the Houston area is being tried at a court-martial in San Antonio today. The recruiter faces charges of sexual misconduct with a dozen women, many of whom were high school students seeking careers in the Air Force.
Tech Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez is charged with sex crimes against 12 Air Force applicants and a recruiter assistant.