Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland

Lackland Courts-Martial
1:25 pm
Mon June 17, 2013

Rodriguez Gets 27 Years In Prison, Harshest Sentence Yet In Air Force Sex Scandal

Lackland, the 'gateway' to the Air Force, has been the gateway to court-martial for instructors engaging in activities against Air Force regulations.
Eileen Pace TPR

The eight officers on the all-male jury panel handed Tech. Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez, a recruiter from Lake Jackson, which is near Houston, 27 years in prison – the harshest sentence issued in the sex scandal so far – which was two years longer than what was recommended by prosecutors.

The former military recruiter was also given a dishonorable discharge after his conviction on 29 of 30 charges involving sex crimes against women who came through his office.

Read more
Military
9:21 am
Mon June 17, 2013

Congress Passes Military Budget Bill, Amendment Addresses Sexual Assault

Congressman Joaquín Castro has taken an active role in the House Armed Services Committee.
Ryan Loyd TPR News

An amendment to the budget bill requires a report on the fixes recommended by Air Force commanders who investigated sexual assault in their branch of the military last year.

As a member of the House Armed Services Committee, San Antonio Congressman Joaquín Castro asked for a General Accountability Office (GAO) report on the 45 initiatives recommended by last year’s command-directed investigation.

Castro told the House before the vote that it is critical to ensure those measures would have a real effect on the problem.

Read more
Lackland Courts-Martial
6:20 pm
Thu June 13, 2013

Recruiter Convicted On 29 Of 30 Counts Including Aggravated Sexual Assault

Eileen Pace TPR News

A military jury has found former Air Force recruiter Tech. Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez guilty of all but the most serious charge against him.

Rodriguez was found not guilty of the rape of a woman at his recruiting office near Houston, but still faces the possibility of spending years in prison.

Rodriguez faced his accusers again on Thursday, some of whom were high school students at the time of the offenses. Lt. Col. Mark Hoover with the Judge Advocate General Office said ten of the women testified about their interactions with the recruiter.

Read more
Lackland Courts-Martial
1:55 pm
Thu June 6, 2013

Recruiter Accused of Sending Thousands of Sexting Messages to High School Students

Tech. Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez.
U.S. Air Force

An Air Force recruiter from the Houston area is being tried at a court-martial in San Antonio today. The recruiter faces charges of sexual misconduct with a dozen women, many of whom were high school students seeking careers in the Air Force.

Tech Sgt. Jaime Rodriguez is charged with sex crimes against 12 Air Force applicants and a recruiter assistant.

Read more
Lackland Investigation
9:11 am
Thu June 6, 2013

Castro Calls For Accountability Recommendations In Air Force Sexual Misconduct

Eileen Pace TPR

San Antonio Congressman Joaquín Castro has asked for a full report on Air Force commanders’ recommendations regarding sexual misconduct in the Air Force.

On Wednesday the congressman asked fellow Armed Services Committee members to support his amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act.

With 32 boot camp instructors under investigation for the abuse of almost 60 victims, the investigation is the largest in the history of the Air Force.

Read more
The Source - May 21, 2013
10:46 am
Tue May 21, 2013

The Source: San Antonio Schools & The EN Three-Part Series On Military Sexual Trauma

The three-part series about sexual assault in the military is taking a serious look at how the military has failed to properly handle cases.

In the first segment:

An annual report from Children At Risk, a Houston-based nonprofit and advocacy group, focused on public schools in Texas and found that while other major cities were seeing improvements in a variety of metrics, several of San Antonio's school districts were not measuring up.

Read more
Lackland Courts-Martial
3:35 pm
Tue April 30, 2013

Female Boot Camp Instructor Sentenced at Lackland

Eileen Pace TPR

Update: (May 2, 3:20 p.m.) Allen was sentenced to three months confinement, reduction to the grade of E-3 (Airman First Class) and hard labor without confinement for 30 days.

Allen's is the 18th completed courts-martial in the ongoing Lackland sex scandal involving military training instructors.

Read more
Lackland Article 32 Hearing
9:07 am
Tue April 9, 2013

Lackland Begins Article 32 Hearing Against Another Military Training Instructor

With no end in sight, the Lackland Air Force Base investigation continues with another Article 32 hearing.
Eileen Pace TPR News

An Article 32 evidentiary hearing is scheduled for this morning in the case against Senior Airman Christopher Oliver of the 324th Training Squadron.

The former military training instructor is charged with having unprofessional relationships with three basic trainees and a fourth woman who was a tech training student. Oliver also faces charges of sexual assault and sodomy against one of the trainees, as well as maltreatment of trainees, and obstruction of justice.

Read more
Lackland Courts-Martial
10:35 pm
Thu March 14, 2013

Cross-Cultural Expert Brought In For Lackland Court-Martial

Eileen Pace TPR News

A Lackland judge is hearing the case against a former Air Force instructor accused of rape.

Staff Sgt. Eddy Soto, formerly with the 323rd Training Squadron, pleaded guilty to five of the charges against him, including sexual assault, wrongful sexual contact, lying to officials, and having unprofessional relationships with trainees.

Soto’s court-martial opened in January with a request from the government to postpone the proceedings so it could bring in a cross-cultural expert. 

Read more
Lackland Courts-Martial
4:45 pm
Mon March 4, 2013

Deraas Pleads Guilty, Gets Bad Conduct Discharge

Staff Sgt. Ryan Deraas
U.S. Air Force

A former military training instructor at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland has been sentenced following his court-martial that began Monday morning.

Staff Sgt. Ryan Derass pleaded guilty to charges of pursuing sexual relationships with five female trainees in another training class and to charges of dereliction of duty for forcing the recruits in his training class to fill their canteens with water from the toilet.

The case marks the first time an instructor was charged in connection with both male and female trainees.

Read more

Pages