How would you like to visit London and tour the BBC’s headquarters, to get an insider’s view of how the world’s largest broadcast news organization operates? Texas Public Radio and the BBC are giving you an opportunity to win this prize by completing our BBC NEWSHOUR QUIZ.
Here’s what you need to do: Listen to the BBC Newshour weekdays at 9 a.m. on Texas Public Radio the week of March 27.
All five questions will be related to stories heard on the BBC Newshour or featured on their website the week of March 27, 2017. Answer all five multiple-choice questions correctly, and you’ll be entered into a drawing to win the Grand Prize of a trip for two to London, including airfare, lodging, and BBC Broadcast House VIP passes. Official rules may be found below on this page.
THE ENTRY PERIOD HAS CLOSED
TEXAS PUBLIC RADIO
2017 BBC Newshour Launch Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY STATES, D.C. AND PUERTO RICO, AGE 18 OR OVER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. CONTEST SPONSOR. The 2017 BBC Newshour Launch Contest (the “Contest") is sponsored by Texas Public Radio (the "Sponsor").
2. HOW TO ENTER. The Contest begins at 12:00 a.m. Central Time on April 1, 2017, and entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on April 3, 2017. To enter, visit http://tpr.org/post/win-trip-two-london-tour-bbc and click on the link "Send Us Your Entry." Fill out the personal information form and complete your entry following the online instructions. Only one (1) entry per person. If you attempt to submit more than one (1) entry by using multiple or different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods, all of your entries may be disqualified. There is no fee to submit an entry. By submitting an entry to the Contest, each person entering (the “Entrant”) agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and acknowledges that the decisions of the Sponsor shall be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
3. QUALIFIED ENTRIES. To be qualified for the Contest, an entry must include the completed personal information form and only one (1) completed entry form. The entry form shall consist of Entrant’s answers to five (5) questions related to content of the BBC Newshour aired or viewed on Texas Public Radio between March 27, 2017 and March 31, 2017. Each of the questions will relate to a one hour segment broadcast or posted on the BBC Newshour's website on these dates.
If the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, has reason to believe that any entry form contains any material that may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, or that the use or broadcast of such entry in the manner described herein may infringe or violate any law or any rights of a third party, the Sponsor may immediately disqualify the Entrant and take any other measures the Sponsor may deem appropriate.
4. ELIGIBILITY. The Contest is open only to individual legal residents of the fifty United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico who are age 18 and over. Any individuals who have, within six (6) months prior to the start date of the Contest, been employed by or performed services (including but not limited to as employees, consultants, independent contractors or interns) for Sponsor or any of its subsidiaries, affiliated or successor companies, and immediate family and household members of such individuals, are not eligible to enter or win. The Sponsor reserves the right to verify and confirm Entrants' ages and compliance with other eligibility requirements. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the verification of eligibility.
5. WINNER SELECTION. Judging will commence at the time the Contest begins and continue until all entries submitted prior to the Contest end time have been reviewed. The judge(s) of the Contest shall be Joyce D. Slocum and/or such other person(s) as may be selected by the Sponsor from time to time in its sole discretion (the "Judge(s)"). The Judge will select one (1) Contest Winner from the Qualified Entries that have complete and accurate answers to all five (5) questions on the entry form. In the event there are multiple Qualified Entries with complete and accurate answers to all five (5) questions on the entry forms, a single Qualified Entry shall be selected randomly. The Contest Winner will be notified on or about April 5, 2017. The Contest Winner will be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and any other documents that Sponsor may reasonably require. If the Contest Winner does not reply to any notification within forty-eight (48) hours, or fails to return any required documentation within five (5) business days of delivery to the Contest Winner, such Contest Winner may, in the sole discretion of Sponsor, be disqualified and an alternate Contest Winner may be selected.
6. PRIZE: One (1) winner will receive a travel prize package for two (winner + one guest) to visit the BBC in London within one year of the entry date of the Contest Winner. This prize package includes:
- Two (2) BBC Broadcast House VIP Tour passes (Dates TBD)
- Two (2) round trip airline tickets (economy class on an airline selected by Sponsor) to travel from the continental U.S. to London, U.K. (Dates TBD)
- Two (2) nights lodging for two at a hotel (to be selected by Sponsor) in London (one room with two queen size beds.
Prize retail value is $4,500.00 (approximate; actual prize value will depend on the actual flight and lodging values).
Prize excludes any and all other expenses associated with the use of the travel prize package, including but not limited to meals, parking, ground transportation, luggage fees including overage fees, gratuities, room service and personal charges, and any other incidental expenses.
Taxes and expenses as a result of winning this prize are the responsibility of the Contest Winner. Prize is nontransferable. Contest Winner will receive delivery of the prize as arranged by Sponsor. Tickets must be used in compliance with the policies of the hotel, airline, and BBC Broadcast House policies. Prize use is the sole responsibility of the Contest Winner. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of right to receive prizes is permitted, except in the discretion of Sponsor, which reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Prize consists only of items expressly specified in these Official Rules.
7. ENTRANT REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE. By entering, each Entrant represents and warrants to the Sponsor that his/her entry is completely the work solely of the Entrant and agrees to defend and indemnify Sponsor for any breach thereof. By submitting an entry, each Entrant agrees to indemnify, defend, release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, promotional partners and agents, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the officers, directors and employees of each of the foregoing, from any and all claims and liabilities arising from or in connection with participation in this Contest, including without limitation claims for injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this Contest or acceptance or use of any prize.
8. RELEASE OF CLAIMS. Each Entrant acknowledges that the Sponsor engages and has engaged in the developing, writing, acquiring, producing, publishing, disseminating and/or broadcasting of literary, artistic, and other material, including stories, ideas, themes, plots, titles, treatments, designs, formats, and concepts (collectively, the "Materials"). By submitting an entry in the Contest, each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that any Materials that the Sponsor may hereafter use or exploit may have originated with the Sponsor or may have been acquired from the Sponsor's employees or other parties, and that such Materials may duplicate, parallel or resemble the information submitted by Entrant on the entry form. By submitting an entry, each Entrant acknowledges that he or she understands and agrees that the Sponsor's use of Materials containing features, ideas, material and/or elements similar to or identical with those contained in their entry form shall not entitle the Entrant to any compensation whatsoever. As an inducement to Sponsor to accept the entry form from Entrant, each Entrant hereby waives any claim or right of action against any of the Sponsor or their successors in connection with the Sponsor's use of any Materials (or any portions thereof) whether or not such Materials contain any features, ideas, material and/or elements similar or identical to those contained in the entry form of Entrant.
9. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. By entering the Contest, each Entrant grants permission to the Sponsor to use his/her name, photograph, likeness, voice, and/or biographical information for Sponsor's programming, publication, publicity, advertising and all other promotional purposes without compensation, review or approval, unless prohibited by law. Sponsor may elect to interview the Contest Winner on air and Contest Winner understands that participation in such interview is a condition of being named the Contest Winner. Refusal or failure to do so may result in the naming of an alternate Contest Winner. The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend this Contest due to any of an act of God; unavoidable accident; epidemic; fire; blackout; act of public enemy; war, riot or civil commotion; enactment, rule, order or act of government or governmental instrumentality or tribunal; strike, lockout or other labor dispute; inclement weather; the recapture of any time period scheduled for the live broadcast of a program for an event of national importance or emergency; failure of technical facilities; failure of essential production, or technical personnel to appear or be available for production or broadcast; or other cause beyond its control. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, mutilated, misdirected, mis-delivered, or delayed entries, or for technical or human errors or failures of any kind in connection with the submission, transmission, processing or judging of entries.
10. GOVERNING LAW. This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of Texas without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Texas.
11. WINNER'S NAME. For the name of the Contest Winner, available after April 8, 2017, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to 2017 BBC Newshour Launch Contest, TPR, 8401 Datapoint Drive, Suite 800, San Antonio, TX 78229. Responses will be provided to all requests made prior to April 30, 2017.